Sunday, March 07, 2010

Broken

Everything appears to be broken at the moment. My husband and I are planning to move out of our two-bedroom house with a tiny, barely there bathroom in a month's time into a nice clean flat with a big kitchen.

It seems like the house has somehow cottoned onto this and is making rumblings of protest. The immersion heater stopped working earlier in the week. We initially thought it was the thermostat, but when we actually got a plumber out yesterday, it emerged that the situation was pretty much terminal. And because we rent our home, we have had to go through a long, convoluted process with the landlords, the plumber and us acting as a cold and dirty intermediary. It is not sorted yet, oh no, we've got both plumber and landlords coming up on Wednesday to replace the thing. This also means the landlords can nose around the house and moan about the state it is in (with pregnancy and bereavement, cleaning and maintenance has not been very high on our list of priorities).

Then, the other day, our phoneline stopped working. This is something which has happened a few times, due to guttering issues which our landlords have never addressed, water gets into the box and corrodes it, eventually rendering it useless. I can live without a landline without too much difficulty, but it's a bugger having no internet access at home.

Also, twice in the past three days, our fridge/freezer has randomly stopped working for a short time - then kicked in again. I think it must be on the way out, which is fair enough as I bought it secondhand six years ago. But it will involve a fairly major operation when we get it out because the dimensions of the kitchen are barely big enough for two people to pass each other.

Anyway, while all these issues are being resolved, we are relying on the kindness of friends and relatives to pop over for a quick shower and food which has been reliably kept cold. I hope things are rectified sooner rather than later.

In other news, I have been reflecting on some of the things I may soon not be able to do - tie my shoelaces, shave my legs, get up from a low chair unaided, cut my toenails... Am I to become a semi-invalid, or a semi-slob in the later months of my confinement?

Decisions, decisions

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry. You will still be able to do all those things. You get bendier as you get bigger. Confinement is a very old fashioned concept isn't it? The one thing I was a bit surprised about was not being able to run across a road in the last month. Fortunately, I realised this before starting to cross in front of an oncoming car one day, rather than after making the attempt!

    ReplyDelete