Wednesday, August 11, 2010

39 weeks

By this time next week, I could have a baby.

In actual fact, by this time tomorrow I could have a baby - or I might still be waiting in three weeks time. But it is now officially just one week to go until D-Day - read the D as either due, delivery, dilation, disaster, disappointment.... whatever fits.

I'm now about two and a half weeks into my maternity leave, and so far, I haven't really been bored. It transpires I quite like sitting around reading books and eating strawberries. Plus, when the baby does that weird ripply whale thing across my belly it is completely fascinating. I've also really liked staying in bed until I can be bothered to get up (sometimes not much before midday) and rewarding myself for all the hard work I am doing growing this baby with great hunks of gooey chocolate.

I had an appointment with my doctor today (an extra one scheduled by my midwife to keep an eye on things as the bulbous nature of my puffy ankles and hands has become somewhat alarming) and things appear to be progressing in the right direction. I'm still getting the period-type pains and it would seem that this is indeed linked to the head engaging - we are now at 3/5 engaged. This is good news, although I do now feel when I get up and the weight goes onto my feet that there is something distinctly uncomfortable going on in my down-belows. I also went swimming last week, which was soooo nice - until I had to haul my whale-like carcass out of the pool, feeling every inch of extra blubber as it emerged from the water. Definitely worth it for the 40 or so minutes of weightlessness, lovely.

I've been thinking a bit about things I didn't expect about pregnancy, and things that I miss. I really miss being able to walk for longer than 10 minutes without having to stop for a rest, and all the other associated things. I miss my little ankles, not that I had ever much thought about them before. I miss being able to get up without having to employ the use of a heavy-duty hoist. I really miss being able to lie flat on my back or my front more than I would ever have expected, and being able to sleep all the way through the night (not going to get that one back unfortunately). And I never expected to start snoring, apparently quite heavily and quite reliably, in the last few weeks of pregnancy. It generally wakes me up, definitely wakes my husband up, and as soon as he starts tossing around in a bad-tempered fashion then that's it for sleep for either of us - until I do another half-snore and automatically wake myself again. I also never expected to misjudge the size of my bump on a regular basis seeing me walking into door handles, car wing-mirrors, the wall....

I don't really miss my waistline that much - and to be honest I reckon I'm still a pretty hot mama, just with a ginormous bump. And I definitely don't miss the ability to bend over and sweep the floor, I'm quite happy to let that one go for now.

1 comment: