Monday, February 08, 2010

We're really having a baby!

I didn't really quite believe it until today. Mixing among the other couples waiting to be scanned at the JR, I felt a bit like a fraud. Some of them were quite obviously pregnant. Several had brought small children. There was a huge mix of people, ranging from people who looked a bit older than us, to younger mums (one of whose bottom was busting its way out of her low slung velour trackie bs), to one couple I can only describe (freely succumbing to my own prejudices) as the scummiest the council estates of Oxford can offer, complete with missing, black and rotten teeth, greasy hair and multiple piercings. Mmmm.

Anyway, it wasn't until our name was called and a sonographer called Jagdeep briskly swept us into a room, matter of factly told me to drop my keks and lift my shirt (ooh-er missus) and applied some of that lovely gel just like in the movies.

And then, suddenly, on the screen, there was our baby. And it looked like an actual baby too, not just an amorphous blob, but a teeny tiny person complete with head, visible nose, arms and legs, and fluttering heart. It was really there. I really am pregnant after all, not just swollen with pie and extra lazy. I was almost surprised to see it there, especially considering the weird dreams I have been having (a story for another time) and it was demonstrably alive. Although it did seem to be having a little relax, as while the heartbeat was clearly visible, a bit of coughing and motion wouldn't get it to move. Sleepy baby. Just like it's mum at the moment.

It feels real now, and so exciting. I've been desperate for this scan for ages, to reinforce the fact I really am pregnant, and to give me the go-ahead to shout it from the roof-tops. Which I now intend to do.

I'll post the pix tomorrow once I've got them scanned in.

1 comment: