Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Last chance for cheese

In readiness for turning my body into a baby-friendly temple, I have given up alcohol. This is no massive hardship, as I can quite happily go for a long time without booze. I gave it up for Lent the last two years and quite frankly, giving up chocolate or meat was much much harder.

The other day it occurred to me that there are other things that you can't do while pregnant I hadn't really considered. Now naked skydiving was never really on the cards, but stinky cheese! And prawns! I realised, not being up the duff quite yet, I should lose no time in indulging in these illicit treats before I was restricted to cheddar and cod (or its more environmentally friendly equivalent).

To that end, I spent a good hour wandering Waitrose's cheese aisle, gazing hungrily at the gooiest produce before selecting a choice few. I ended up spending about 15 quid on cheese. All totally worth it though. Sadly I've eaten it all now. That epoisse... that beautiful comte... my mouth is watering again. I also made a totally awesome prawn curry, another portion of which is awaiting my delectation in the freezer. Who knows, I may have a year or more yet to enjoy all that blue-veined, unpasteurised deliciousness - or I could be looking at the blue veins in my legs and pumping unpasteurised goodies out of my fun bags for somebody else. We'll see. But for now, I intend to linger in the cheese aisle and bring home an embarrassingly smelly bagful.

No comments:

Post a Comment